change log


I’ve been collecting nice quotes for years, and finally got a new page up.  The previous page was done in 2001… I’m very selective.

Advertisements

I’ve updated the proto-Eastern page to include the relevant information on Luxajia– sound changes and vocabulary.

There’s also a nice new languages map (actually it’s the one from the new atlas).

Luxajia is a Čia-Ša language; specially a Čia one.  It replaces “Lufaša” in earlier Almeology.  The Great Reclimatization hit Luduyn hard; Gurdago had to be moved to the opposite coast, and its history was pretty much entirely rewritten.  As Gurdago took over the Čia region but not the Ša region, the best-known language had to be from the Čia family.

In addition, I took the opportunity to work out ‘real’ Čia-Ša names.  Both halves of the double-barrelled name mean ‘people’; it’s cognate to PE *gens and thus to Verdurian ženLuxajia is named for Luxae, ‘bend (of the river) city’; the –e comes from Old Skourene .

My original intention was for the Čia-Ša languages to be monosyllabic; I didn’t do that, as I already have two monosyllabic languages over in Arcél.  Luxajia has a strong preference for roots to be no longer than two syllables, though.

This doesn’t mean I’m done with the Luxajia grammar… only with those words that derive from proto-Eastern.

I’ve been working on my Mandarin.  One thing I’ve found is that just knowing more words is a Good Thing.  It makes the grammar portions of the text, as well as the readings, much less intimidating.  I wanted to do the same for my knowledge of characters, so I created a set of flashcards.  Unfortunately it seems to fail on IE9, which is merely the world’s most popular browser.  Safari and Firefox handle it fine.

(Anyone have ideas?  Other pages with Javascript work fine, like this one or this one.  Other pages wtih Unicode, like the link below, work fine.  Does IE9 fail when the Javascript has Unicode in it?)

Update: thanks largely to alert reader hakaku, this is fixed.  Apparently it wasn’t the Unicode; it was the string handling.  IE must interpret byte by byte and then outsource the execution to the Philippines, or something.

While I was at it, I updated the Zompist Phrasebook in Chinese to Unicodify the pinyin (and to get rid of the horrible Word formatting that bulked up the page).

OK, the Flaidish and Wede:i lexicons have minor changes; more interesting is the Caďinor lexicon, which now includes Sarroc.

For years I’ve had a file with about a thousand words that needed to be created in Verdurian… I finally got through them all, plus another big chunk suggested by Xeroderma Pigmentosum on the ZBB.

Here’s the English-Verdurian dictionary and here’s the Verdurian-English.   The process has created quite a few new words in other languages, and I’ll get to updating the web versions soonish.

There’s about 6500 entries in the Verdurian dictionary, plus over a thousand sub-entries (idioms and sample sentences).

While I’m here, Almeopedia is down.  It’s hosted by Lore, and he’s had some nasty site problems; it looks like files are lost but we don’t know yet how bad the damage is.  Bulletins will be issued as events warrant.


New page up on my site: Cyroman, a Cyrillic-Roman hybrid.  It’s a part of the Incatena universe, though to be honest it’s just an amusing trifle.

Also in change log news: I finally converted the Practical Course in Verdurian to Unicode.

I’ve put up a page giving the background material on the Incatena (emphasis on cat), the universe and timeline used for my sf novels.

http://www.zompist.com/incatena.html

I’ve started revising the book, currently renamed Against Peace.  Because, you see, the main dude is fighting the Peace Movement.  It’s, like, ironic.

Amusing bit: I prepared the star map using actual values for right ascension and declination.  Then I decided to copy the Milky Way from another map, only it didn’t fit the map.  Finally I realized that I’d labeled RA wrong: up from 0 to 24, not down from 24 to 0.  So I had to flip all the stars.

« Previous PageNext Page »