I created a video playlist on YouTube– let’s see if I can embed it. Here’s a link in case you want to watch it there instead.
These are all videos where I liked both the music and the video. About half of them are from jwz’s mixtapes. Sorry for the ads, that’s Google’s fault. I’ve plugged a few of these before.
Some miscellaneous comments…
- Megan Washington has her own video for Clementine, but I prefer this one by Keith Loutit. Tilt-shift baffles me: it shouldn’t work but it does. If you look at an actual miniature, you don’t get that out-of-focus effect. Plus, this one actually tells a story!
- The Limousines’ The Future is brilliant, and (very) darkly comic. Plus it features a cameo by the zombie-fighting kids.
- There’s dozens more Usavich shorts by now. They’re addictive. The rabbits’ names are Pūchin and Kirenenko.
- A lot of Gorillaz videos are pretty interesting, though the music doesn’t always fit as well as here.
- OK, the Saints Row 3 cap (it’s not mine) hardly counts as a video. But it does showcase the really charming duet of What I Got as well asRebecca Sanabria’s mixture of cute and awesome.
- Janelle Monae can sure rock a tuxedo. Or probably anything else she wants to. Daphne Shum (from Rat Vs Possum, in the silver leotard) is also cute as a button. More cute than a button, really– what a lousy idiom that is.
- All of Cyriak’s videos are jaw-droppingly creative and surreal.
- If only OKGo’s music was as inventive as their videos I would have included one.
- It kind of bugs me that the video for Girls Like You has nothing to do with the lyrics. And yet it’s a great video.