I’ve been working on my Mandarin. One thing I’ve found is that just knowing more words is a Good Thing. It makes the grammar portions of the text, as well as the readings, much less intimidating. I wanted to do the same for my knowledge of characters, so I created a set of flashcards. Unfortunately it seems to fail on IE9, which is merely the world’s most popular browser. Safari and Firefox handle it fine.
Update: thanks largely to alert reader hakaku, this is fixed. Apparently it wasn’t the Unicode; it was the string handling. IE must interpret byte by byte and then outsource the execution to the Philippines, or something.
While I was at it, I updated the Zompist Phrasebook in Chinese to Unicodify the pinyin (and to get rid of the horrible Word formatting that bulked up the page).