…if they interviewed them the way they interview developers:
1. What’s ROI stand for? Have you ever used this concept?
2. What is an MBO? Give an example.
3. Name three ways a PERT chart differs from a Gantt chart.
4. If you had to explain it to a junior manager, how would you describe what “venture capital” does?
5. Define “delegation”. How does it differ from “assignment”?
6. What are all the ways a company could raise capital?
The point here isn’t that the questions are easy, though many are. It’s that they aren’t tests of managerial skill; they’re pop quizzes on management theory. Surely what you’re really interested in isn’t whether someone can define the buzzwords the same way the books do; it’s what they’ve done and whether it worked.